Agricultural and county shows are on the horizon and they really are the highlight of many country people’s year.
A time to catch up with friends, find out what everyone is doing, check out new machinery and eye up everyone else’s livestock.
Our local show is the Royal Cheshire County Show which takes place on June 18th and 19th at the County Showground in Tabley near Knutsford. It is one of our favourite days of the year.
If you need some persuasion to visit, then here are 17 reasons you really need to go.
1.You can meet farmers and food producers from your local area and pick their brains as well as discover new suppliers of really fresh meat, dairy and vegetables.
2. You can rub shoulders with celebrity chefs and get loads of cooking ideas. This year, Rosemary Shrager will be in attendance as well as the return of former Corrie star-come cheesemaker, Sean Wilson.
3. By visiting agricultural shows you will be treading in the footprints of our farming ancestors and showing your family how exciting and amazing farming is. The fist Cheshire show took place in 1893.
4. If you visit the Agri-Centre, you can get up close and personal with a number of farming practices such as sheep shearing, calf feeding, cow milking and an array of animals.
5. Local farmers will be bringing crops for you to see and you can ask as many questions as you like. You really get a taste for the vast array of foods available in our county.
5. You can get up close to a large array of animals you may not get to see in one place usually. As well as horses, dogs and domestic pets like rabbits and ferrets.
6. I you think animal showing is a case of turning up and putting a sheep on a lead, you will get a shock. I am always in awe at the work involved to get animals ring-ready. We love looking at the animals and, if you are a livestock farmer, the winners can be a lucrative business with interest mounting at the first places and best in show.
7. You can get ideas for your own farm or small holding. The only reason my farmer agreed to pygmy goats was after seeing them at the Cheshire Show. *What can I persuade him to get this year?
8. The shopping is brilliant. From country clothing to animal feeds and of course food, don’t forget to take your purse with you for those all important purchases.
9. You get to experience a slice of rural life. The Women’s Institute and Mother’s Union are just some of the amazing rural societies helping at the show. I have also seen the Guild of Spinners and Young Farmer’s there. You might even sign yourself up.
10. It’s not just animals and food. The Monster Trucks are back and ready to wow you with their 15ft air jump and action packed performance.
11. Likewise there will be a whole array of tractors and other farm machinery to amuse even the grumpiest farmer.
12. The Sheep Show is at the Royal Cheshire Show for 2019 and it is a fun and educational live show of different sheep breeds and shearing. I’ve already got this on my to-do list when we get there.
13. Equestrians will not be disappointed. There are pony club mounted games and a veritable wealth of horse and riding products for sale.
14. For the canine fans, attendees can look forward to displays from Cheshire Police dogs, sporting and non-sporting dog competitions and your furry friends are permitted to come along with you to the show.
15. For music, there are various bands and choirs performing across the two day event.
16. You get to meet real people from your local, farming community and you might even learn a thing or two.
17. You get to see a lot of animals that you might not get to see in the same place in real life.
*Disclosure, I was sent a press pass for entry to this year’s Royal Cheshire County Show but, as always, all opinions are my own.