1. Fabric stain remover. Living on the farm, we avoid white clothing like the plague. School shirts tend to be white though so stain remover is your friend. If I know we are having anything tomato sauce based for dinner, I make Boo eat her tea in her vest to ensure no stains are too hard to get out. Some paints are another matter.
2. Bobbles. In our house, Boo and I share hair ties. We are the only two family members with long hair and I tend to bulk buy bobbles from Primark or the supermarket so we always have loads in. There comes a point, a couple of times a year though when I can’t find any two that match-think the sock fairy on a larger scale. No six year old can go to school with plaits and odd bobbles so back to school is a great opportunity to buy new.
3. Uniform. The obvious one really but I tend to make a note of everything we need new and only buy the shoes on the last minute because my little lady’s feet can grow in a fortnight so I want to make sure they are right at the start of term.
4. Diary or a calendar. I buy a calendar from school so that the term dates are already on. I find a diary is essential though to keep up to speed with extra curricular activities, clubs, parties and school trips. I don’t know how I will cope when all three are going to school. I might have to hire a secretary.
5. Change. Lunch money, snack money, trip money, tuck shop money. They always seem to need money for something when they are at school and there is always a fundraiser or six. I have a little bowl of money in the kitchen that I can transfer to Boo’s (clearly labelled) purse so that she never misses out.
What are your Back to School essentials?