As with many second children, Baby G’s bedroom is smaller than his big sister’s but I still wanted him to have a book case.
So I found this one, locally on eBay for £4.99 and I had a bit of a lightening moment.
Whether he likes it or not, Baby G will eventually have a farming/tractor themed bedroom so the book case needs to tie in.
I didn’t want to have to go out and buy loads of paper especially to cover the piece of furniture so I looked around the house.
Hubster is a bit of a hoarder when it comes to farming papers and, when his ‘corner’ in the living room starts to be visible from the side of the sofa, I clear it out.
What better paper to use in our mini-farmer’s room?
I cut out loads of big pictures of tractors, cows and sheep. The classified advertising pages were very handy because they have so many pictures of machinery on them.
I bought a tub of PVA glue for £3.99 from my local hardware shop and got gluing during morning nap time.
I then let it dry and, realistically, I only got more time after bedtime but that was the perfect time for drying.
I then used a £3.59 can of clear varnish and began to brush that on. It left a really shiny finish.
There wasn’t much varnish left and I think it should have had a second coat so I just went over the edges of the shelves and the top which I think will get the most traffic.
It now has pride of place in Baby G’s nursery and is holding a couple of farm books, his little collection of tractors, his flat cap and a farm-set of clothes in the next size.
I absolutely love it and to think G has a unique piece of furniture in his room which cost £12.57 (I am not counting the price of the papers and magazines because Hubster bought them and they were just lying around).
I am furiously looking around for other things to decoupage now, I think I’ve got the decoupage bug.