Tomorrow marks the start of Gas Safety Week.
According to the Gas Safety Register, some 23 million homes in the UK and Channel Islands use gas for heating, hot water and cooking, yet we take it for granted that our boilers, cookers and gas fires are safe. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
How scary is that?
The worst bit of it all is, for things like Carbon Monoxide, it is silent and odourless so you wouldn’t even know you had leak.
In 2011, the government released the results of a survey which found 4000 people were taken to hospital each year from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
Do not let your family become the next statistic.
There are ways you can reduce the risk which includes ensuring anyone who looks at your boiler and gas appliances is Corgi registered.
The number one carbon monoxide deterrent though is the installation of a simple carbon monoxide alarm in your home. It can save the lives of your children and yourselves should a leak occur.
The lovely people at Corgi Home Plan have provided me with a Carbon Monoxide Alarm to help raise awareness during Gas Safety Week.
To win, just fill out the Rafflecopter below.