Recently, I was sent a lovely breakfast set from Flahavan’s to make my own perfect porridge.
Always trying to think ahead, I came up with this recipe so it would make a few meals. It can be served not only as breakfast or brunch but at any time of the day. We had it for dinner one night as a family and the remainder fed Hubster and the farm workers the next day.
It made a huge Farmhouse** Breakfast Quiche that we ate for dinner one night and had for lunch the next day.
The recipe itself is a cross between a baked cheese cake and a quiche. Have a go and see what you think.
- (For the base)
- 250 g Flahavan's Organic Jumbo Oats
- 150g butter (Plus more for greasing)
- 1 tbsp. of parmesan cheese
- (For the filling)
- 1 onion
- 10 fluid ounces of double cream or milk. You decide the ratio. I used 8 fl oz of milk and 2 fl oz of cream.
- 4 eggs
- A small packet of bacon lardons
- 12 mushrooms chopped in half
- 8 cherry tomatoes chopped in half
- 5 oz cheese (Cheddar is good)
*Please make sure you double check that your cake tins are sealed. Any large gap will see your egg mixture drain away. My tins had a small gap which worked. I did ensure I placed the tins on a baking tray though to protect my oven.
**Please note, I know I am calling most of my recipes ‘farmhouse’ but I do live in a farm house and I think psychologically, it sounds really authentic.